Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Book of Ruth ~ Devotion Twenty

"Legally Speaking"


There is a right way and a wrong way of going about things. As a believer in "Jeshua" our Jesus, it means that the right way is God's perfect way. Just as Ruth waited to hear the outcome of Boaz speaking with the first in line to be her kinsman-redeemer, we too must wait for God's will. We cannot force or manipulate the situation we are in because God cannot be forced. When we interrupt the process of God we prolong the time it takes for the outcome.


The legal process that Boaz took in order to marry Ruth took its course and ended well. The first in line to be her kinsman-redeemer gave over his right to Boaz. Let's see what happened next.


Ruth 4:9-10 (NLT) Then Boaz said to the elders and to the crowd standing around, “You are witnesses that today I have bought from Naomi all the property of Elimelech, Kilion, and Mahlon. And with the land I have acquired Ruth, the Moabite widow of Mahlon, to be my wife. This way she can have a son to carry on the family name of her dead husband and to inherit the family property here in his hometown. You are all witnesses today.”


Boaz made sure that he had witnesses to this legal transaction. Again we see the foreshadowing of Christ. I've really never thought that the arrest, crucifixion and resurrection was a "legal" transaction. It is a supernatural transaction that pays the way for humans to have a way to approach God.


Romans 3:22 (MSG) Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ.


Jesus paid the price to become our kinsman-redeemer. God made sure there were witnesses to this transaction. "Transaction" sounds so clinical, but that is exactly what it is. In exchange for our hearts He gave His life. We who know and love Him are witnesses to this heavenly interchange.


Acts 2:32-33 (NLT) “God raised Jesus from the dead, and we are all witnesses of this. Now he is exalted to the place of highest honor in heaven, at God’s right hand. And the Father, as he had promised, gave him the Holy Spirit to pour out upon us, just as you see and hear today.


Many saw and experienced the physical resurrection of Jesus 2000 years ago. Their testimony has continued on in believers throughout these many years. We are now witnesses to the heavenly transaction Christ Jesus made for us. 


Christ Jesus Himself spoke of you and I as He prayed the most beautiful prayer in the Bible. This prayer is found in John 17:1-26. Let's focus on the part of the prayer where He prays for all believers.


John 17:20-23 (NLT) I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
     “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.


I love the fact that Jesus thought of me so long ago and His prayer for me and other believers is recorded in the Bible. His heart wanted me to be with Him and He wanted the world to know about Him. He still wants the world to know about Him and His love.


John 17:25-25 (NLT) “O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”


Jesus was and is the first witness of God. You see He is the Only One able to approach the Throne of the Eternal One. God in Christ came to earth to walk among His beloved creation to be a witness to the wonderful and amazing love God has for us.


Being a witness of this holy legal transaction between God and mankind is an awesome responsibility. It is one that we should not take lightly. In fact, it is a matter of life and death. Are we willing? Are we willing to go to our death to attest to the fact that Jesus is who He says He is? It's a big responsibility but one with great benefits.


Romans 1:16-17 (MSG) It's news I'm most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God's powerful plan to rescue everyone who trusts him, starting with Jews and then right on to everyone else! God's way of putting people right shows up in the acts of faith, confirming what Scripture has said all along: "The person in right standing before God by trusting him really lives."


When we love, trust and tell others about His extraordinary love, we really live. It's a dangerous life but one worth living. Are you willing to live it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)