Friday, July 9, 2010

The Book of Ruth ~ Devotion Fifteen

"Laying It All Down"


We have learned from our study so far that God has provided for Naomi and Ruth. These two women had nothing left for them. They were at starvation's door and needed help. Naomi thought that God had given up on her and her joy had turned to bitterness. If it weren't for Ruth, I think Naomi would have already laid down and died.


When have you ever felt like giving up? What were the reasons? What do you believe is God role in your circumstances? Was there someone in your life that encouraged you to go on?


In Naomi's case, it was Ruth that was her encourager. Ruth loved Naomi so much that she went to a stranger's field and harvested grain. Now as we begin the third chapter of Ruth we see how far Ruth is willing to believe Naomi.


Ruth 3:1-6 (NLT) One day Naomi said to Ruth, “My daughter, it’s time that I found a permanent home for you, so that you will be provided for. Boaz is a close relative of ours, and he’s been very kind by letting you gather grain with his young women. Tonight he will be winnowing barley at the threshing floor. Now do as I tell you—take a bath and put on perfume and dress in your nicest clothes. Then go to the threshing floor, but don’t let Boaz see you until he has finished eating and drinking. Be sure to notice where he lies down; then go and uncover his feet and lie down there. He will tell you what to do.”
     “I will do everything you say,” Ruth replied. So she went down to the threshing floor that night and followed the instructions of her mother-in-law.


When I read this portion of Ruth I do get a little uncomfortable because it sounds pretty intimate. The reason I do, is because I don't understand the customs and history of the Hebrews of this time. I'm looking at it through 21st century glasses. So to understand this chapter of Ruth we need to learn about Hebrew law and the customs of that time. (We'll learn more about this in the next devotional.) And, we must by faith, ask God to show us what it is He wants us to learn.


There are times in my life when I interpret what is going on around me from the wrong perspective. My limited vision cannot see what God sees. I base what I see on what I know. To learn and grow spiritually I must use my spiritual sight. I must depend on the all-seeing eyes of God. He not only sees what we see, He sees the very atoms that make up the situation. 


2 Corinthians 5:7 (MSG)  It's what we trust in but don't yet see that keeps us going. 


Even when we don't see what God sees we must trust Him to see for us. And in Ruth's case she was trusting Naomi whom she loved and admired. Naomi wanted Ruth to be happy and she saw a way to find a home for Ruth. Naomi had a plan and little did she know that God had a plan too.


The actions that Ruth took was  enormous. In fact, it was dangerous. Boaz could have taken her life or had her thrown out in the streets. Even with all the risk, she was willing to lay her life down for the life she could have with Boaz. By laying down at his feet she was asking him to take her as his wife and to care for her. She was willing to give up singleness to come under his authority and protection. 


When Ruth laid down at Boaz's feet she was in a sense laying down her old life and hoping for a new one. This is so much like us when we decide to take the humble position of laying our lives down at the feet of our Master ~ Jesus.


2 Corinthians 5:16-17 (NLT) So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!


How do you evaluate life? Is it through what has happened to you in the past? Or is it what you fear will happen in the future? The Bible tells us that we must lay down our fears and by faith trust in God's vision.


Taking the step of laying down our wills for His perfect will is scary. We don't know what the future holds. Laying down at the feet of our Master Jesus is a huge act of faith. When we do, we are saying, "I trust you Lord and I want Your plan and not mine." Some call this "blind faith." I call it "taking on the perfect vision of God."


It's ok it we don't know how our story ends. All that matters is that Jesus is in control and there is no one with a better plan or larger love for us. So by faith let's lay our fears aside and put ourselves in His wonderful nail-scarred hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)