Friday, August 13, 2010

The Book of Acts ~ Study Twenty-Two

"Little Do We Know"


Acts 5:12-16 (NLT) The apostles were performing many miraculous signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers were meeting regularly at the Temple in the area known as Solomon’s Colonnade. But no one else dared to join them, even though all the people had high regard for them. Yet more and more people believed and were brought to the Lord—crowds of both men and women. As a result of the apostles’ work, sick people were brought out into the streets on beds and mats so that Peter’s shadow might fall across some of them as he went by. Crowds came from the villages around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those possessed by evil spirits, and they were all healed.


Can you imagine yourself walking among the giant columns in the portion of the Temple Mount called Solomon's Colonnade or Solomon's porch? These were put into the plans for the temple by King Herod because he wanted place to walk among the people. It was a grand design but I would bet that Herod never thought that a mighty wind would blow like the one that ushered in the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God Himself. Neither would he have imagined that miracles would happen daily and the Good News of Jesus would be preached. Even farther from his thoughts as he planned this majestic temple and grounds would be the thousands of people who entered into the promise of eternal life. 


I want to discuss the topic that I am titling, "Little Do We Know". There are so many things that we do in life that, while we are planning or in the midst of doing, we know the results of our actions. King Herod was no exception. Walking, meeting, preaching and healing among his architectural accomplishments, that were meant to glorify himself, was a band of ragtag men who had followed the Messiah. Now this place, intended for the glorification of one man, was now a place that God was using to glorify Himself.


Many people were being healed because the Good News of Christ was being preached. But the best thing of all is that many people were taking their first steps into eternity and the infant Church was maturing everyday.


Little did Peter know that he would be healing people by the power of the Name of which He preached ~ "Jesus". Hurting, sick, lame and dying folks were being placed in the shadow of where he walked. When he was throwing out the fishing nets with his brother and was called by a Rabbi one day, "little did he know" that he would be a major player in cause of Christ. 


John 14:12-13 (NLT)  “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father."


Jesus told Peter and the rest that He would enable them to do the things that He did, in accordance with God's will, because He would die, be resurrected and return to the Father.
Do you know the same holds true for you and me? "Little do we know" that God wants to be  glorified in each believer's life. What do you think holds us back from accomplishing great things in the Name of Jesus?


Think about your life since Jesus stepped in. Looking back can you see "little did I know" things that would play out as you walked in faith? 


Jeremiah 33:2-3 (NLT) “This is what the Lord says—the Lord who made the earth, who formed and established it, whose name is the Lord: Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.


The prophet Jeremiah shared what God had told him about the chosen ones of God, the nation of Israel. Now we are included into this holy people because of what God has done for us through Christ. The promise we read in Jeremiah now filters down to those of us grafted into the vine.


John 15:4-6 (NLT) Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
      Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.


By being a believer of Jesus, we are grafted into the vine of Christ, and we are unified with other believers in Jesus. Because of this grafting we are able to get past the "little did I know" things in life and move on to greater things that He has planned for us to do.


How about you? Are you willing to get past the fears and and doubts that our lives can ever do great things for Him? Oh friend, I stand with you as I wonder what the "little things" about my life will lead to greater things for Him who loves me so much. Let's  by faith step out and see what He has in store. Just like Peter, let us be known as a place to find healing and love from Jesus. May those who pass in our shadow be blessed because we are living for Him.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)