Tuesday, July 29, 2008

First Stone

I can feel the weight of it in my hand. It's rough edges dig into my palm and fingers as I squeeze. Every once in awhile I toss it up and then catch it with the same force I use to squeeze it. The target sits wriggling in front of me as I begin to take aim and raise the stone up to hurl it at the object of my distain. Man, this is going to be good. It's about time someone laid out the truth and took aim at the lies and deception.

I hear a voice that says to me, "Throw the first stone. You have every right to but only if you haven't lied or deceived others yourself." Slowly I release the pressure on my stone of justice. It falls scrapping against my leg and hitting my foot on the way down to the ground. My own blood trickles from the wound it has caused. Looking down I see my stone. Its still. Its useless without my hand to weld it.

This isn't the first time I've picked up the stone to nail someone. Sometimes I hit my target ignoring the voice that dares me to drop the stone. This time I obey this voice because I know that I have lied and deceived. I know that I am guilty too.

There is another stone that appears in my sight as I lift my head from my shame. The voice came from that direction. Somehow I know that the voice and the stone are the same. From this stone I see others placed upon it and a beautiful building rising from it. Somehow I know that this stone is holding all the others up.

The urge to touch the stone grows strong within me. I run from the stone that I just dropped and as I do I look at the object of my distain. The head slowly raises and I see the face of my intended victim. It's my face. I'm the guilty one. I'm the one who deserves the weight of the stoning. The voice from the cornerstone of this beautiful building bids me to come. I do. I run with all that is within me.

When I reach the stone all I can do is collapse. Everything that is within me cries out to it. Looking up I see Him. He's full of love for me. I see it in His eyes. Slowly He pulls me up to face Him face-to-face. He says, "Look around. Is there anyone who condemns you now? Go and live with My Love. Remember this moment when sin creeps in and begs you to wallow in it. Remember Me."

Jesus is the Stone I must always hold on to. I never want to pick up any other stone. He alone is my Rock and my Redeemer.

"Look! I am placing in Zion a choice and precious cornerstone. No one who has faith in that one will be disappointed." 1 Peter 2:6

1 comment:

  1. Dang, girl! That is RIGHT on!!! How many times have I held that stone so sure I had the right to hurl it... only to find out that I am the last one able to do it.

    GREAT entry! Perfect way of sharing it to bring it into a clearer understanding.

    The only stone we need to hold on to is Jesus.... so true...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)