Friday, November 19, 2010

The Book of Acts ~ Study Seventy-Eight

The Pain of Turning

Acts 28:17-31
(NLT) Three days after Paul’s arrival, he called together the local Jewish leaders. He said to them, “Brothers, I was arrested in Jerusalem and handed over to the Roman government, even though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our ancestors. The Romans tried me and wanted to release me, because they found no cause for the death sentence. But when the Jewish leaders protested the decision, I felt it necessary to appeal to Caesar, even though I had no desire to press charges against my own people. I asked you to come here today so we could get acquainted and so I could explain to you that I am bound with this chain because I believe that the hope of Israel—the Messiah—has already come.”
   They replied, “We have had no letters from Judea or reports against you from anyone who has come here. But we want to hear what you believe, for the only thing we know about this movement is that it is denounced everywhere.”
   So a time was set, and on that day a large number of people came to Paul’s lodging. He explained and testified about the Kingdom of God and tried to persuade them about Jesus from the Scriptures. Using the law of Moses and the books of the prophets, he spoke to them from morning until evening. Some were persuaded by the things he said, but others did not believe. And after they had argued back and forth among themselves, they left with this final word from Paul: “The Holy Spirit was right when he said to your ancestors through Isaiah the prophet,
  " 'Go and say to this people: When you hear what I say you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend. For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes—so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them.’
   So I want you to know that this salvation from God has also been offered to the Gentiles, and they will accept it.”
   For the next two years, Paul lived in Rome at his own expense. He welcomed all who visited him, boldly proclaiming the Kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ. And no one tried to stop him.

Paul didn't waste much time after getting settled in his little house to contact the Jewish leaders in Rome. I guess he wanted to lay his case before them and to have time to talk about Jesus. They came willingly and said they didn't know about the charges against him by the high priest and the others in Jerusalem. Paul was able to plead his case and they in turn listened to Paul explain why he believed that the Messiah had already come. Some believed and some didn't.

Paul left them with a passage of scripture they would all know. It was from Isaiah the prophet. I want to break this passage down and see what it means:

Verse 26Go and say to this people: When you hear what I say you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
                When you hear:  The Greek word for "hear" is "akoe" and means "to have ears that can hear            functionally."
                Not understand/not comprehend: The Greek word for "understand" is "syniemi" and means "a moral or religious conduct and is contributed to the heart."

Verse 27: 'For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear,
and they have closed their eyes—so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them.’
                 The hearts: The Greek word for "heart" is "kardia" and means "the seat of emotions, to think"
                 Become calloused:  Having a thick skin that becomes hard through wear.
                 Turn: The Greek word for "turn" is "epistrepho" and means "to turn toward."
                 Let me heal them: the Greek word for "heal" is "iaomai" and means "to be restored mentally, physically and spiritually."

The Jews that met with Paul all listened but not all heard. They didn't comprehend what he was telling them about the Messiah because their hearts were calloused and worn through years of being "religious." Some of them did hear and believe. They were the ones whose position with God involved Him and not religious acts. 

What do you think hardens people's hearts today? What can soften them? I believe that the Holy Spirit is the Only One to have the power to do so, even then, a person can choose to ignore the call from Him. It all lies in the person's desire to know God's truth more. If they don't choose to turn and explore Jesus, then their hearts will remain hard. 

Romans 2:4 (NLT) Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?

God's kindness and patience is what beckons people to Him. Even then some hearts are so calloused by this world and religion that they can't or won't turn away from their beliefs. Its like a calcified joint that can't bend without being broken. Sometimes letting go and allowing God to break us seems too painful for some to consider. 

I know someone who needs double knee replacements. He knows the promised results of mobility and freedom with the surgery but doesn't want to take the time, face the pain or pay the price. If he would go through the surgery and all that it entails, he would be healed and would be walking pain free in no time.

Turning or repenting of our calloused hearts and minds is not unlike accepting the knee surgery. Sometimes the pain of admitting we've been wrong by holding onto our religious views and seeing God and His Christ in a new light, is too much. Maybe it's just easier to keep living the way we've always lived than to turn to God and accept Jesus. 

2 Corinthians 9:10 (NLT) For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.

The pain of turning is a result of the sin we hold onto in our hearts. We don't want to admit that we need a Savior. We justify our actions and harden our hearts. As I close this study on Acts I beg you to turn if you haven't already. There is so much more to know about Jesus and His love for you. He paid the painful price for your life. Allow Him to heal you. Accept His love and enter into His grace that leads to a new heart and mind that will live forever in the perfect and never boring eternal life that He offers you.

I've been His for a long time, but there was a time not too many years ago, that I didn't live my life realizing that I could be closer to Him and know Him. Since I started writing about Him in these last six years I've gotten to know Him more and more. There is so much I need to know and really want to know about my sweet Savior. I was bound up by what I thought I knew about Him and how He wanted me to act. Now I'm learning that His love is enough and all I need to do is keep my eyes and heart on Him. I talk to Him all the time like I would a good friend. The only difference is that He is God. There is no other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)