Monday, October 11, 2010

The Book of Acts ~ Study Fifty-Three

"Lead Me Now ~ Show Me How"


Acts 16:6-10 (NLT) Next Paul and Silas traveled through the area of Phrygia and Galatia, because the Holy Spirit had prevented them from preaching the word in the province of Asia at that time. Then coming to the borders of Mysia, they headed north for the province of Bithynia, but again the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them to go there. So instead, they went on through Mysia to the seaport of Troas.
   That night Paul had a vision: A man from Macedonia in northern Greece was standing there, pleading with him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us!” So we decided to leave for Macedonia at once, having concluded that God was calling us to preach the Good News there.

As we read the passage for today we learn that the Holy Spirit prevented Paul and Silas from preaching in Asia. We don't really know why but He did but God wanted them somewhere else. In fact, God spoke to Paul in a vision with a man asking for help in Macedonia.
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg


Here are some maps to show the area of Macedonia and the length he had to travel. Paul wasn't afraid of the miles, he just wanted to be in tune with the Holy Spirit of God.









I just read Mark Driscoll's sermon on "How to Pray for the Holy Spirit" to help you. 

Here's the link:

Do you ever wonder why you don't hear from God like the Apostle Paul? Do feel like your prayers seem to hit the ceiling and fall useless to the floor? 

I've felt that way and want nothing more than to hear like Paul did. But, am I willing to do what the Holy Spirit says? I'm afraid that He will lead me on a long journey and I'm not ready. Maybe I'm ignoring what He tells me. Or, maybe I don't recognize what He is saying because I am not listening or prepared to listen to His urging.

Romans 8:26-27 (NLT) And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will.

"The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness." We are weak without the help of the Holy Spirit. God knew this and He gave those who love Jesus His Holy Spirit to dwell within us and help us in our weakness. We need to tap into this ultimate powerful gift. If and when we don't know what to pray we need to pray that and ask God's Holy Spirit to pray for us.

Romans 14:17-18 (NLT)  For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too.

We too often focus on the here and now and how it affects us. Life consists of many distracting things. I often focus on how I look and sound to those around me. Do they think I look good? Do they think that I'm smart? Do they really know who I am? (Anyone else feel this way?) Instead, I should focus on living a life that is fully directed by the Holy Spirit. He takes care of the rest and I please God.

Romans 15:13-14 (NLT) I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
   I am fully convinced, my dear brothers and sisters, that you are full of goodness. You know these things so well you can teach each other all about them.

Life lived by the power of the Holy Spirit is the source of true hope, complete joy and peace, it's all due to our trust in Him. Along with our trust comes confidence and with this confidence fear's fire is extinguished. When we live in confidence, because of God's Holy Spirit dwelling within us, we can teach others about Him. Without the Holy Spirit our message falls flat.

2 Corinthians 3:7-9 (NLT) The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life? If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God!

I believe we need to let go of our old ways of thinking and fully rely on the new way of thinking, that is, a life lived according to the direction of the Holy Spirit. When we do this we will see our prayers getting past the ceiling because we know by faith that He will hear and will act. God doesn't ignore His children. He loves us so much that He prays for us through the power of His Holy Spirit. He knows what we need.

We must be open to God's direction through the power of the Holy Spirit. He does speak. He indeed leads us when we allow Him. The first step is to let go of our limited way of thinking.  Asking the Holy Spirit to take over is the ultimate step. Pray with me:

Dear Holy Spirit,

I want Your plans for my life. I lay down my old way of doing things and chose to follow You. Fill me now. Show me how. Lift me high and open my mind. I love you!

In Jesus' Name ~ Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)