Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Book of Ruth ~ Devotion Three


 "Cross Me Back Over"

Ruth 1: 1-7
Because of the famine in their hometown of Bethlehem, Elimelech moved his family to a place called Moab. God had promised the people of Israel, before they crossed the Jordan River, if they remained obedient to Him He would provide for them. The famine indicated that they had not been obedient.
Deuteronomy 11:13-15 (NLT) “If you carefully obey all the commands I am giving you today, and if you love the Lord your God and serve him with all your heart and soul, then he will send the rains in their proper seasons—the early and late rains—so you can bring in your harvests of grain, new wine, and olive oil. He will give you lush pastureland for your livestock, and you yourselves will have all you want to eat.”
Elimelech removed his family from the land God had promised to the Israelites and moved them to a pagan country. Moab was considered an enemy of God’s people at the time. So why did he decide to move away from home? Could it be that he didn’t trust God’s judgment anymore? Or could it be that he hoped that there was more abundance and better opportunity in the land of the Moabites? Whatever the reason he was leaving the promises of God behind and moving to a place where God was not present.
The journey he had to take wasn’t an easy one by any stretch of the imagination. They had to hike through the bleak, God-forsaken Jericho pass, then through the Judaean  no-man’s land that was near the Dead Sea. After making it through these places he had to cross the Jordan River and then enter the land of Moab. Elimelech left the Promised Land of Israel and returned to the wilderness from which God had delivered Israel many, many years before. He was walking into something that God had brought them out of.
Have you ever returned to a place in your life that God had brought you out of? What did it take to get you to return to Him and the promises He made to you?
We all cross the proverbial river out of God’s promises. In order to do this we have to turn our backs on Him and what He desires to bless us with. You’d think we’d know better but we often take the desolate path to a perceived “greener grass.”
Elimelech removed his family from the safety of God protected Promised Land by not only a physical move but also a spiritual one as well. It doesn’t say that he was disobedient to God, but it does say he left the area God had commanded His children to be.
When we leave the will of the Mighty One, we risk the results of our own choices. God is the kind of God who allows us the freedom to choose. He does, however, love us enough to warn us of the consequences of exercising this freedom when we choose poorly. I’m pretty sure Elimelech knew the consequences but, he either chose to ignore them or didn’t believe them. Whatever the case we will learn what the consequences of his actions cost him.
Ruth 1:6-7 (NLT) Then Naomi heard in Moab that the Lord had blessed his people in Judah by giving them good crops again. So Naomi and her daughters-in-law got ready to leave Moab to return to her homeland. With her two daughters-in-law she set out from the place where she had been living, and they took the road that would lead them back to Judah.
Ruth was a widow with two sons. We don’t know how much time passed but we do know what happened. Elimelech died and Ruth had to go on. Elimelech’s actions affected not only him but those who were brought into the situation as well. 
The actions we take, whether good or bad, affect those around us. When we make choices for ourselves, how often do we think about the effects on those we love?
Hard journey ~ death ~ marriage ~death ~ the unknown. Naomi was faced with so much pain. She was taken from the land of her God and the familiar to a land without God and the unfamiliar. Poor decisions and the consequences of them often bring on more pain that the original pain. I’ve felt the pain of my decisions time and time again. You would think that I would learn. Happily at my age I’m starting to learn the lessons God wants me to learn. “The stove is hot Carrie...the stove is hot...it will burn you...don’t touch it...the stove is hot...”
I can remember times when I turned and crossed the Jordan River of bad decisions. Early on in my young adult life I would enter into destructive relationship after destructive relationship. Between each one I would return to God for comfort for my pain, but I would quickly return to cross the Jordan again, away from God’s promises. So when I did finally get married, those past relationships threatened to destroy the connection with my husband because I would compare him to others. When I finally allowed God to lead me back to the Promised Land side of the Jordan, my marriage grew and strengthened.  Throughout my life I have made poor choices but God in His mercy, always called me back to His blessings.
Romans 11:33-35 (NLT) Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!
 For who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice?
 And who has given him so much that he needs to pay it back?
I want to learn the ways of God from the inside out. I don’t want to walk on uneven paths and stumble along the way. Over the years I have come to learn that God’s ways are even and He walks beside me. As He walks beside me, He reminds me of His deep, deep love and affection for me. It’s a delight-filled rapport that the two of us have. It makes me smile just thinking about it. Why do I still choose to walk away?
He’s with me through the hard times. He’s with me through the good times. When I stray from His leading, He calls me back to Him. If I’m not too focused on what I want to do, I turn around and run to Him. Sometimes, I have to crawl out of the pit I’ve fallen into.
God wants you to know this delight too. Through His Son Jesus, He has provided the perfect companion to guide you through life’s journey. Will you cross the Jordan River of your poor decisions back into the Promised Land of His love for you? If you will, He will reveal to you His best and perfect plan for your precious life.
Jeremiah 29:11-14 (NLT) “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”
Bring me home again Lord. Cross me back over the Jordan of my bad decisions to the promises of Your love.
Read your favorite version of the Bible online for free. biblegateway.com

1 comment:

  1. you go girl!! :-) He will cross you over the Jordan...think for a moment though...the closer you get to the Promise Land, the more responsibility you have...

    He will show you His Ways, no doubt about it...but can we handle His ways? Can you leave a land that you know, like Abraham did? ..And truly walk in His ways? A stranger in a foreign land?

    Most of us tend to get too comfortable with knowledge, we are sure and very certain of Him... this isn't a bad thing..however, there is so much more that He wants to show us...are you willing? Are you ready to crossover? Let Him show you how to Prepare the Way of the Lord..
    the answer could surprise you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog "Underneath the Threads." God Bless! :)